Resources Law by State Georgia Sales Tax Rate

Georgia Sales Tax Rate

Georgia has a 4% state sales tax rate. Groceries are exempt from the state sales tax, but still subject to tax by the local sales tax rate. Counties may impose local sales tax of 1%, 2%, or 3%, consisting of up to three 1% local-option sales taxes (out of a set of five) as permitted by Georgia law. These include a SPLOST, a homestead exemption (HOST), and one for public schools which can be put forth for a referendum by the school board instead of the county commission (in cooperation with its city councils). Also, the city of Atlanta imposes an additional 1% municipal-option sales tax (MOST), as allowed by special legislation of the Georgia General Assembly, solely for the purpose of fixing its water and sewerage systems.

As of July 2008, total sales tax rates in Georgia are 3% for groceries and 7% for other items in the vast majority of its 159 counties. A few counties charge only 2% local tax (6% total on non-grocery items), and four partially exempt groceries from the local tax by charging 2% on food, and 3% (7% total) on other items. Fulton and DeKalb counties charge 1% for MARTA, and adjacent metro Atlanta counties may do so by referendum if they so choose. For the portions of Fulton and DeKalb within the city of Atlanta, the total is at 8% (4% on groceries) due to the MOST.

Similar to Florida and certain other states, Georgia used to have two sales tax holidays per year. One is for back-to-school sales the first weekend in August, but sometimes starting at the end of July. A second usually occurs in October, for energy-efficient home appliances with the Energy Star certification. There were no sales tax holidays in 2010.
Georgia has many exemptions available to specific businesses and industries. To identify potential exemptions, businesses and consumers must research the laws and rules for sales and use tax and review current exemption forms.

Contact Sales Tax Accountants today for free tax assessment and sales tax questions. Call 1-877-254-0990.

Thanks to Sales Tax Accountants our company was able to avoid an expensive audit and save tens of thousands
James Turner - Retail Supply Services

How To Contact Us

twitter facebook google

Contact Us Today!

Login Form



CPA Atlanta   ,   Atlanta Tax Resolution   ,   State Sitemap   ,   County Sitemap   ,   Atlanta SEO & Web Design